Toyota Tundra has been in the market for over 20 years and it’s taking the pick-up market by storm. The popularity of this flexible, off-roading, 4-seater pick-up truck has reached new heights.
Toyota is successful in manufacturing such a truck that can carry heavy payloads and look stylish at an unexpectedly low price.
As Toyota Tundra has been in the market for quite some time, many versions of the same model have been released with different upgrades each year.
However, some technical problems like the tailgate getting stuck due to rust or friction are common.
So, this article will provide you with tips and tricks that will help you to open the tailgate of a Toyota Tundra keeping professional help as the last resort.
Toyota Tundra Bed Information
The back payload holder of a pick-up truck is called the bed. Toyota Tundra has a bed that’s 66.7inches in length and can hold up to 1560lbs. of payload. The bed is 10.6 inches above the ground and has the extra support of the rear wheels to keep the payload safe and sound.
An uncommon fact about the Toyota Tundra is that the front side of the truck is tilted down while the tailgate faces upwards. This is because of the payload leveling of the truck as well as being able to see the road. The tailgate at the end of the bed has separate locks and can be remotely opened.
Why Do Toyota Tundra Tailgates Get Stuck?
Toyota Tundra has a tailgate that helps to keep the payload inside the truck bed while traversing through uneven roads and at fast speeds. The tailgate can be opened manually using a key or remotely. The tailgate can get stuck because of rust or getting filled with dirt.
Due to the position of the tailgate being located at the back, it gets dirty often. It collects other particles faster when you take your Toyota Tundra for off-roading. Not cleaning the tailgate mechanisms after passing through such terrains will result in a jammed tailgate.
Toyota Tundra Tailgate Jam Solutions
Toyota Tundra tailgate can be opened in various ways if you have the proper tools and a bit of mechanical experience. Depending on the tools you have on hand or by following your choice of jam fixture, you can solve the jamming issue of your truck.
1. Opening A Broken Tailgate
One of the reasons tailgates get stuck is due to the internal damage caused by rust. This slowly breaks down the tailgate and the handle becomes useless. Here are the steps you can follow to open a broken tailgate without further damaging the truck or the bed.
- Firstly, try to open the gate in the usual way using the latch handle.
- Check if you can feel anything rough or gritty while moving the handle.
- Use a straw to spray the lubricant into the part of the mechanism that feels rough.
- Give some time for the mechanism to soak the lubricant in.
- Move the hinges of your tailgate using a screwdriver.
- You’ll see that there’s a black rubber gasket which you have to release by pushing your screwdriver further into the hinge mechanism.
- Finally, push your screwdriver up to completely detach your tailgate from the truck.
2. Fixing Jammed Tailgate
A common problem among Toyota Tundra owners is having to deal with a jammed tailgate. Unless you’re maintaining your truck and tailgate every few days, you’re bound to have this problem. It’s easy for dirt and other small particles to enter your tailgate because it’s exposed at the rear of the truck and has no protection against external damage.
- Try to use brute force to open the tailgate using the handle at first.
- Lubricate the hinges that connect the tailgate to the truck.
- Push and pull on the closed tailgate handle a few times to remove anything that’s preventing you from opening the gate.
- Try leaning onto the tailgate while you unlatch it.
- If the mechanism hasn’t loosened yet, take your truck for a drive through bumpy roads so that the tailgate gets jarred enough.
- Finally, call a professional mechanic to fix it because the cost of fixing a jammed tailgate is below a 100USD.
Symptoms of a Failing Toyota Tundra Tailgate
Toyota Tundra is mainly bought by customers who need to carry heavy and fragile payloads from one place to another frequently. Doing so requires a tailgate so that the payload doesn’t fall off the truck when moving at high speeds or after a sudden rise of acceleration after ignition. So, you should always give the highest priority towards owning a good tailgate.
A failing tailgate can be fatal for you and your payload which can be prevented in time if you know the symptoms of a failing Toyota Tundra tailgate.
- Power lock not locking down as usual
- Remote malfunctioning tailgate
- Lock not latching properly
- Loose tailgate when latched and placed upwards
- Cranking noises coming from the tailgate while driving through bumps
Check the issue and call a mechanic or fix the problem yourself if you notice any of the symptoms mentioned above.
How to Fix Tailgate Toyota Tundra
Replacing Toyota Tundra Tailgate Costs
Toyota Tundra has many variations and you can choose one according to your budget. But remember to change your tailgate only if the hinges have been damaged beyond repair and replacing the handle won’t help to bring the situation under control.
In short, replacing the tailgate should always be your last option. Replacing a Toyota Tundra tailgate will cost you from 543USD to 1300USD. Among the expenses, 400USD is the maximum price of the labor, and depending on your choice of replacement parts, it can climb from 300USD to 900USD respectively.
Like every other vehicle in the present market, Toyota Tundra is also bound to have problems since it’s a two-in-one vehicle.
Not many vehicles can carry more than 4 passengers as well as a tow or carry large payloads at the same time. This V8 5.7l pick-up truck is an absolute game-changer but needs maintenance regularly.
Since the truck has more functions than an ordinary vehicle, it demands that its owner takes proper care of it too. That’s where the tailgate comes in because a well-maintained tailgate will last longer than all other parts.
After all, prevention is better than cure. Nonetheless, this article will provide you with all the information you need about ways to open a Toyota Tundra tailgate.
Leave a Reply